I always grill or smoke my jalapeño poppers because they have a much better flavor when compared to cooking them in the oven. You can use many different combinations of ingredients, but a few of my favorite ingredients to use are cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, onions and garlic. This combination will make a jalapeño popper taste amazing. I always try to find thin bacon. It cooks faster, and you won't take a change on leaving your poppers in the pit too long to make sure the bacon is done. The jalapeño popper recipe below is great and an appetizer that I usually prepare to keep the guests snacking while the main dinner is cooking.
1. 18 pickled or fresh jalapeños halved and seeded
2. 1 - 8 oz. package of cream cheese at room temp
3. 1/2 large onion
4. 3 cloves of garlic, minced
5. 1 - lb. of think sliced bacon
6. 1/2 lb of pepper jack cheese
1. Saute onions in olive oil over medium heat for 3 minutes or until translucent.
2. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute or until brown.
3. Turn off heat and cool.
4. Mix onions, garlic, cream cheese, and pepper jack cheese
5. Apply the mixture to the jalapeño halves
6. Wrap the stuffed jalapeños with bacon
7. Grill indirectly over a medium fire until the bacon is done. You can also smoke at 275 for 45 minutes - when the bacon is done they are ready.
8. I serve them with a bowl of BBQ sauce to dip them in. KC Masterpiece works excellent!