Recipe Name: Lentil Walnut Burgers
Posted By: Gay C
Makes 6 Burgers
300 g/10 oz Puy green lentils, picked over, washed and drained
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons safflower or vegetable oil
65 g/ 2 1/2 oz onions, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
75 g/3 oz chopped walnuts, toasted
Salt and pepper
1. Place the lentils in a large saucepan, cover with
cold water and 2 teaspoons salt and bring to the simmer.
2. Adjust the heat to simmer the lentils slowly for 20-25 minutes until
soft. Drain the cooked lentils in a colander.
3. Transfer the lentils to a large plate or platter and keep, uncovered,
in the refrigerator to cool.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon safflower or vegetable oil in a small non-stick
frying pan over a medium-high heat.
5. When hot, add the onions, garlic and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes
6. Transfer the onion mixture to a plate and place, uncovered, in the
refrigerator to cool.
7. Puree 50 g/2 oz of the walnuts in a food processor fitted with a metal
8. In a large stainless steel bowl, gently but thoroughly combine the
cooled lentils, chilled onion mixture, remaining walnuts and walnut puree.
9. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Form lentil mixture into six 150 g/5 oz burgers, each 2 cm/3/4 in
thick. 11. Cover with cling film and refrigerate until needed.
at Fishing Heaven