Posted By: Gay C
Makes 6 Burgers
More Recipes at Fishing Heaven
300 g/10 oz Puy green lentils, picked over, washed and drained
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons safflower or vegetable oil
65 g/ 2 1/2 oz onions, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
75 g/3 oz chopped walnuts, toasted
Salt and pepper
1. Place the lentils in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and 2 teaspoons salt and bring to the simmer.
2. Adjust the heat to simmer the lentils slowly for 20-25 minutes until soft. Drain the cooked lentils in a colander.
3. Transfer the lentils to a large plate or platter and keep, uncovered, in the refrigerator to cool.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon safflower or vegetable oil in a small non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat.
5. When hot, add the onions, garlic and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender.
6. Transfer the onion mixture to a plate and place, uncovered, in the refrigerator to cool.
7. Puree 50 g/2 oz of the walnuts in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
8. In a large stainless steel bowl, gently but thoroughly combine the cooled lentils, chilled onion mixture, remaining walnuts and walnut puree.
9. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Form lentil mixture into six 150 g/5 oz burgers, each 2 cm/3/4 in thick.
11. Cover with cling film and refrigerate until needed.