How to Build A Washers Game
At the last tailgate party we threw, a friend of mine introduced me to the game of washers. I have always played horseshoes, but washers is something else. Horseshoes is not a very portable game, while a person can spend around 20 bucks to build a portable washers game and play virtually anywhere. A description of how to build a washer game, and the instructions for the game are described below.
To build the washer game:
To Build the Washers Boards:
First, build 2 boxes 18 inches wide by 48 inches long. Cut 3 holes
in each box that are 3.5 inches in diamete, spaced out as the diagram
shows above. I like to use 3/4 inch plywood. On the bottom side, fasten
a 1"x1" boarder around the outside edge of the board. This
will raise the board off of the ground to let the washers fall in.
The holes in the washer game are 12 inches apart, measuring from the
center of each hole. Use astro turf to cover each washer box. This
will keep the washers from sliding too much. You will need two sets
of washers to play the game, totaling 6.(three for each team), The
washer diameter is 3.25 inches. To space space the washer boards apart,
attach a 10 foot rope, cable, or chain between the two boxes. Stretch
the two boxes apart, and play.
RULES FOR WASHERS GAME:
1. The three holes are worth 1pt, 2 points and 3 points (the inside
hole is 1 point, the next is 3, and the outside hole is worth 5 points.
2. The object of the game is to toss the washers so that they go into the holes on the board opposite of the board you are standing by. If you throw first, you throw all 3 washers.
3. Leave the washers where they fall, and your opponent, standing next to you will then throw his or her 3 washers.
4. If your opponent covers you, it will cancel the points you made.
5. First one to 21 wins. If you go over 21 your score is now 11, and you work your way up from there. If you reach 21 but still have washers left to throw, you must throw them, they must hit the board, but they can not go in a hole.
6. EX. If you are at 20 and you need 1 point to score 21, and you throw into the whole worth 2 points, you have gone over, and your score is now 11. A score of 21 must be reached exactly.
This game can also be played in teams. Your partner would stand by the board opposite of you next to one of your opponents. You stand next to an opponent on the other team.